A popular alternative to basic burgers. This July 4th declare your independence from flavorless, dry sliders! This recipe is modeled on the White Castle square sliders and results in a juicy burger that fits all the way to the edge of the buns, which are held in place with melted cheese.
- 2 lbs. all-natural, ground beef (preferably 80% lean)
- 1 small white onion, finely grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- 2 TBS cold water
- 1 package of slider buns or dinner rolls, connected in a single sheet (we recommend Martin’s potato rolls or King’s Hawaiian Bread)
- 1 lb. sliced cheddar cheese
- 1, 12 oz. package of North Country Smokehouse Certified Humane Fruitwood Bacon
Measure your buns! Using a tape measure
Perfect for Pepper Lovers
Published in Gourmet, July 2009
Serves 2 to 4
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green olives
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ciabatta or other rolls about the length of sausages, split
- 4 bratwurst, andouille, or other flavorful, fully cooked sausages, split
- 1/2 cup bottled piquillo peppers or roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 2 cups baby arugula
Combine olives and oil, then spread on bottom halves of rolls.
Heat a grill pan or large heavy skillet (not nonstick) over medium-high heat until hot, then heat sausages until hot, about 8 minutes.
Make sandwiches on rolls with peppers, sausages, and arugula. Cut in half.